- Ambulatory Care
- Assault Care and Treatment
- Diabetes Care
- Cancer Care
- Diagnostic Imaging
- Dialysis and Renal Services
- Emergency Department
- Heart and Stroke
- Mental Health and Addictions Counselling
- Prenatal and Maternity
- Surgical Services
- Traditional Program
Our Services During COVID-19
We continue to provide services in our Diabetes Program and the Centre for Complex Diabetes Care (CCDC). Efforts are being made to deliver services virtually, however in person appointments are available.
We are accepting patients for in person foot care and wound care services on a limited basis. To book an appointment for foot or wound care, and for any questions about our diabetes program or services provided through the CCDC, please call us at (807) 737-6576 and your call will be returned within two business days.
At this time, the public entrance to the hospital is at the Emergency entrance. All patients/visitors will pass through our screening desk. Don’t forget that masks are mandatory at SLMHC. As always, our staff are happy to offer assistance to get to your appointment.
(Updated August 19, 2020)
Our interdisciplinary team provides education, support and guidance to adults and children with Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes, gestational diabetes, or those at risk for diabetes. We provide direct patient care to 28 communities in northwestern Ontario. Our clinicians travel to these remote communities on a monthly basis. Our Program is open to referrals from any source, including self-referrals.
- Diabetes education
- Medication counseling & insulin teaching
- Basic/advanced foot care & assessment
- Dietary consultation – cooking classes, grocery store tours, meal planning, nutritional assessments
- Exercise therapy
- Patient Navigation: assist clients with social determinants of health; community resources; financial or housing support
- Individual, family, or group sessions
- Pediatric services
- Prenatal education
- Community capacity building, programming and outreach projects
- Access to Traditional Programming & medical interpreters
- OTN and PCVC services
To Book Appointment:
- Booking Clerk (p) 737-6576 (f) 737-6266
- Switchboard 737-3030
Centre for Complex Diabetes Care
The Centre for Complex Diabetes Care (CCDC) is an interdisciplinary team that utilizes a case management model to provide coordinated, advanced care to patients over the age of 18 with complex diabetes needs, including: vascular disease, renal failure, impaired vision, mental illness or recurring diabetic emergencies.
The additional services we offer:
- Advanced foot care and wound care
- Intensive insulin and medical management
- Advanced meal planning
- Teleophthalmology (eye screening)
- Psychosocial support
- Access to traditional programming
The CCDC assists patients in accessing and navigating the health care system with strong patient advocacy and collaboration. The goal of CCDC is to assist patients in attaining the highest level of health within their own health continuum. Once patients are stable and self-managing, they are discharged from CCDC to the Diabetes Program.
CCDC is accessible by physician referral or nurse practitioner referral to outpatients and inpatients of Sioux Lookout Meno Ya Win Health Centre.