Major changes have taken place at Sioux Lookout Meno Ya Win Health Centre to protect staff and patients during the COVID-19 global pandemic. Click on the expandable items below to get more information.
We now have screening in place for everyone entering our facilities. This is a precautionary measure taken at all hospitals and long-term care homes across the province to limit the spread of the infection amongst a particularly vulnerable population.
Any individual, including staff and physicians, coming into the hospital or extended care facility will be greeted by screeners. Screening includes asking about symptoms (cough, difficulty breathing, etc.) and having your temperature taken.
The Hospital Site:
The Main Entrance of SLMHC, and the adjacent parking lot, will be open to clients and their care partner who are arriving for outpatient appointments only. This includes lab work and those coming in for an appointment with any of our services at the hospital. The Main Entrance is open 6:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Monday to Friday. All individuals will be screened for COVID-19 symptoms and will be required to wash their hands and wear a mask while at SLMHC.
Emergency Entrance: Remains open 24/7 for all individuals accessing Emergency Services as well as all inpatient visitors. If you are staying at the Hostel and require help getting to the Emergency entrance, please make arrangements through the hostel staff.
Ambulatory Care Entrance: Remains closed at this time.
The COVID-19 Assessment Centre: The entrance for the Assessment Centre is close to the Emergency Entrance (DO NOT come to Emergency, please look for signs and enter through the Assessment Centre door). More information on our assessment centre and how to book an appointment can be found on the Assessment Centre page.
William A. George Extended Care Facility: The screening station is at the main entrance of the Facility.
Our Services and Departments
Updated August 19, 2020 – With the changes at SLMHC during the COVID-19 pandemic, many services and departments have been impacted. We have updated each Department and Services page here on the website. If you have any questions about a specific service, upcoming appointment or process here at SLMHC, please call our main switchboard at (807) 737-3030.
Patient parking is located inside the gate across from the Emergency entrance. and at the Main Entrance.
Effective Oct. 19 – The main entrance parking lot is open to clients and their care partner who are arriving for outpatient appointments only. The Main Entrance will be open 6:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Monday to Friday. All individuals will be screened for COVID-19 symptoms and will be required to wash their hands and wear a mask while at SLMHC.
Please remember to pay for your parking before leaving the facility at one of our parking pay stations. Our Parking Rates are available here on our Parking information page.
Updated March 12, 2021:
Until further notice, all visitors and essential care partners are restricted with the following exceptions.
- Palliative Care Patients: One (1) Essential Care Partner: At the approval of Senior Management, and in consultation with the patient’s nurse or physician, exceptions may be made for imminently dying patients to have other immediate family in the room.
- Labouring and post-partum patients admitted to the Maternity Unit may have one (1) Essential Care Partner.
- Pediatric patients (18 years or less) may have one (1) Essential Care Partner
- Patients coming in for chemotherapy or dialysis appointments may have one (1) Essential Care Partner.
- Residents at the William A. George Extended Care facility may have one essential care partner. Visits still need to be scheduled in advance and new testing guidelines apply.
- Essential care partners must be pre-identified and will be kept on a list for our screeners and nursing staff.
- Care Partners/escorts must be the same care partner throughout a patient’s stay.
- Movement of the care partner/escort is restricted. At this time, partners/escorts are not permitted to visit other patients or common areas.
- The cafeteria is open to patients and essential care partners for take-out only. The cafeteria is open 7:15 a.m. – 6 p.m. Monday to Friday, and 7:15 a.m. – 2 p.m. on weekends. There are vending machines operational in the Emergency Department, ambulatory care (canoe hallway) and main entrance area.
- Care partners/escorts/visitors are required to wear masks at all times while in the facility. Care partners/escorts/visitors will be required to bring their own mask.
William A. George Extended Care Facility
At the William A. George Extended Care Facility (ECU), general visitor restrictions remain in place. Residents at the William A. George Extended Care facility may have one essential care partner. Visits still need to be scheduled in advance and new testing guidelines apply. Please remember there are processes in place, including the wearing of masks and following physical distancing measures. For more information and to arrange a visit at ECU, call Andrea at 737-3030 ext 4577.
To find out more about visiting your loved one at ECU, including what to expect and what to bring, visit our Online Guide to Visiting your Loved One.
Please check this web page for updates. If you have questions, please call the unit to speak with the care team.
Masks at SLMHC
At this time, masks are mandatory for everyone at SLMHC. This includes employees, visitors, outpatients, care-partners/escorts and anyone entering the hospital or extended care site.
To conserve personal protective equipment for medical staff, we are asking the public to bring their own masks. Fabric masks are appropriate and can be purchased from many local suppliers in our region. Those who do not have a mask will be supplied one.
Video Visitation with SLMHC Patients and Residents
With visitor/escort restrictions in place at the hospital and extended care facility, we know this is difficult on families, residents and patients when you cannot see your loved one. We would like to help to minimize the anxiety for everyone by supporting a virtual face-to-face visit through video.
Please reach out at the following numbers and our staff will be pleased to assist you.
- To connect with a resident living at William A. George Extended Care site, call (807) 737-3030 ext. 4575
- To connect with a patient at Sioux Lookout Meno Ya Win Health Centre site, email firstname.lastname@example.org. State your name, phone number, desired time for a video-visitation and patient you wish to connect with. Someone will get back to you within two business days.