Major changes have taken place at Sioux Lookout Meno Ya Win Health Centre to protect staff and patients during the COVID-19 global pandemic. Click on the expandable items below to get more information.
We now have screening in place for everyone entering our facilities. This is a precautionary measure taken at all hospitals and long-term care homes across the province to limit the spread of the infection amongst a particularly vulnerable population.
Any individual, including staff and physicians, coming into the hospital or extended care facility will be greeted by screeners. Screening includes asking about symptoms (cough, difficulty breathing, etc.) and having your temperature taken.
William A. George Extended Care Facility: The screening station is at the main entrance.
The Hospital: Effective Oct. 19 – The Main Entrance of SLMHC, and the adjacent parking lot, will be open to clients and their care partner who are arriving for outpatient appointments only. All individuals accessing Emergency Services as well as all inpatient visitors will continue to enter and be screened at the Emergency Entrance.
The Main Entrance will be open 6:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Monday to Friday. All individuals will be screened for COVID-19 symptoms and will be required to wash their hands and wear a mask while at SLMHC.
If you are staying at the Hostel and require help getting to the Emergency entrance, please make arrangements through the hostel staff.
Our Services and Departments
Updated August 19, 2020 – With the changes at SLMHC during the COVID-19 pandemic, many services and departments have been impacted. We have updated each Department and Services page here on the website. If you have any questions about a specific service, upcoming appointment or process here at SLMHC, please call our main switchboard at (807) 737-3030.
Patient parking is located inside the gate across from the Emergency entrance. and at the Main Entrance.
Effective Oct. 19 – The main entrance parking lot is open to clients and their care partner who are arriving for outpatient appointments only. The Main Entrance will be open 6:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Monday to Friday. All individuals will be screened for COVID-19 symptoms and will be required to wash their hands and wear a mask while at SLMHC.
Please remember to pay for your parking before leaving the facility at one of our parking pay stations. Our Parking Rates are available here on our Parking information page.
As of February 22, 2021:
- Visitors, including essential care partners for inpatients and outpatients at the hospital site, will be restricted in line with the province’s COVID-19 response framework. Exceptions include:
- All outpatients may have one person to escort them during their appointment.
- All patients admitted at SLMHC may have one approved essential care partner. Dependent on circumstances in hospital, exceptions will be considered for patients/residents at end-of-life to have other immediate family in the room.
- Maternity patients in labour and throughout their stay may have one essential care partner.
- Pediatric patients (under 18 years of age) may have one essential care partner.
- Patients attending for emergency services in the ER may have one essential care partner.
- Other extenuating circumstances must be discussed and approved by our health care administration.
- Essential care partners must be pre-identified and will be kept on a list for our screeners and nursing staff.
- Care Partners/escorts must be the same care partner throughout a patient’s stay.
- Movement of the care partner/escort is restricted. At this time, partners/escorts are not permitted to visit other patients or common areas.
- The cafeteria is open to patients and essential care partners for take-out only. The cafeteria is open 7:15 a.m. – 6 p.m. Monday to Friday, and 7:15 a.m. – 2 p.m. on weekends. There are vending machines operational in the Emergency Department, ambulatory care (canoe hallway) and main entrance area.
- Care partners/escorts/visitors are required to wear masks at all times while in the facility. Care partners/escorts/visitors will be required to bring their own mask.
William A. George Extended Care Facility
At the William A. George Extended Care Facility, general visitor restrictions remain in place. We are now able to arrange indoor and outdoor visits by appointment only. Residents at the William A. George Extended Care facility may have one essential care partner and one general visitor. Please remember there are processes in place, including the wearing of masks and following physical distancing measures. To arrange a visit with your loved one, call Andrea at 737-3030 ext 4577.
To find out more about visiting your loved one at ECU, including what to expect and what to bring, visit our Online Guide to Visiting your Loved One.
Please check this web page for updates. If you have questions, please call the unit to speak with the care team.
Masks at SLMHC
At this time, masks are mandatory for everyone at SLMHC. This includes employees, visitors, outpatients, care-partners/escorts and anyone entering the hospital or extended care site.
To conserve personal protective equipment for medical staff, we are asking the public to bring their own masks. Fabric masks are appropriate and can be purchased from many local suppliers in our region. Those who do not have a mask will be supplied one.
Video Visitation with SLMHC Patients and Residents
With visitor/escort restrictions in place at the hospital and extended care facility, we know this is difficult on families, residents and patients when you cannot see your loved one. We would like to help to minimize the anxiety for everyone by supporting a virtual face-to-face visit through video.
Please reach out at the following numbers and our staff will be pleased to assist you.
- To connect with a resident living at William A. George Extended Care site, call (807) 737-3030 ext. 4575
- To connect with a patient at Sioux Lookout Meno Ya Win Health Centre site, email email@example.com. State your name, phone number, desired time for a video-visitation and patient you wish to connect with. Someone will get back to you within two business days.