If you are having a medical emergency, go to the nearest Emergency Department or call 911.
To stay informed on the status of cases in Sioux Lookout and our entire region, please visit the Northwestern Health Unit’s website and Sioux Lookout First Nation Health Authority’s website.
Ontario’s COVID-19 Page
Need to print your COVID-19 Vaccination Electronic Receipt?
Worried about symptoms and wondering if you should get tested, or how to self-isolate? Visit the COVID-19 Self Assessment site.
Visit Ontario’s COVID-19 page for the latest information about COVID-19 here in Ontario.
Other important numbers and links:
Telehealth Ontario: 1-866-797-0000 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week)
Northwestern Health Unit: COVID-19 hotline: 1-866-468-2240 (Monday to Friday – 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.)
Major changes have taken place at Sioux Lookout Meno Ya Win Health Centre to protect staff and patients during the COVID-19 global pandemic. Click on the expandable items below to get more information.
We now have automated wellness screening stations in place at all our entrances for everyone entering our facility. Screening is a precautionary measure taken at all hospitals and long-term care homes across the province to limit the spread of the infection amongst a particularly vulnerable population.
Any individual, including staff and physicians, coming into the hospital must complete the required screening at the wellness screening stations and will be required to wash their hands and wear a hospital-issued medical mask while at SLMHC.
The Hospital Site:
The Main Entrance of SLMHC, and the adjacent parking lot, will be open to clients and their care partner who are arriving for outpatient appointments only. This includes lab work and those coming in for an appointment with any of our services at the hospital. The Main Entrance is open 6:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Monday to Friday. All individuals must complete the required screening at the wellness screening stations and will be required to wash their hands and wear a mask while at SLMHC.
Emergency Entrance: Remains open 24/7 for all individuals accessing Emergency Services as well as all inpatient visitors. If you are staying at the Hostel and require help getting to the Emergency entrance, please make arrangements through the hostel staff.
Ambulatory Care Entrance: Our Ambulatory Care entrance is open for weekday appointments and services. Those coming to the hospital for outpatient appointments, specialty clinics, day medicine, laboratory services or other services can use the Ambulatory Care entrance to enter SLMHC, complete the required screening at the wellness screening stations, and report to the registration area.
The COVID-19 Assessment Centre: The entrance for the Assessment Centre is close to the Emergency Entrance (DO NOT come to Emergency, please look for signs and enter through the Assessment Centre door). More information on our assessment centre and how to book an appointment can be found on the Assessment Centre page.
William A. George Extended Care Facility: The screening station is at the main entrance of the Facility.
Our Services and Departments
Updated August 19, 2020 – With the changes at SLMHC during the COVID-19 pandemic, many services and departments have been impacted. We have updated each Department and Services page here on the website. If you have any questions about a specific service, upcoming appointment or process here at SLMHC, please call our main switchboard at (807) 737-3030.
Patient parking is located inside the gate across from the Emergency entrance. and at the Main Entrance.
Effective Oct. 19 – The main entrance parking lot is open to clients and their care partner who are arriving for outpatient appointments only. The Main Entrance will be open 6:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Monday to Friday. All individuals must complete the required screening at the wellness screening stations and will be required to wash their hands and wear a mask while at SLMHC.
Please remember to pay for your parking before leaving the facility at one of our parking pay stations. Our Parking Rates are available here on our Parking information page.
Updated March 2022:
At the Hospital site:
- Effective January 5, 2022, general visitation is paused. Until further notice, outpatients may have one (1) fully-vaccinated essential care partner while attending appointments, and all admitted patients at the hospital site may have two (2) fully-vaccinated essential care partners. There will be limited exemptions for additional essential care partners, including families of a patient at end-of-life.
- Effective January 5, 2022, visitors, essential care partners and escorts are required to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination before entering the hospital. Some exceptions may apply (families of end-of-life patients and essential care partners for pediatric patients).
- Everyone entering the hospital must screen at an automated wellness screening station, perform hand hygiene and wear a hospital-issued medical mask (no fabric masks). All visitors, escorts, and essential care partners must pass screening.
- The cafeteria will continue to be open to patients/visitors/essential care partners for take-out only.
William A. George Extended Care Facility
- Visit the Online Guide to Visiting your Loved One to view current visitor guidelines
- All visitors (indoor and outdoor) must wear a mask and all visits must be prescheduled. This can be done by calling 737-3030 ext. 4577.
- If you have questions, please call the extended care unit to speak with the care team.
Please check this web page for updates. If you have questions, please call the unit to speak with the care team.
Masks at SLMHC
At this time, masks are mandatory for everyone at SLMHC. This includes employees, physicians, visitors, outpatients, care-partners/escorts and anyone entering the hospital or extended care site.
Effective January 5, 2022, fabric masks will not be allowed in the facility and everyone entering will be asked to wear a hospital-issued medical mask.
These masks are issued at our screening area. Please note that you may keep the mask you are wearing for use outside of the facility, but will be asked to wear the hospital-issued mask during your time at the hospital.
Video Visitation with SLMHC Patients and Residents
With visitor/escort restrictions in place at the hospital and extended care facility, we know this is difficult on families, residents and patients when you cannot see your loved one. We would like to help to minimize the anxiety for everyone by supporting a virtual face-to-face visit through video.
Please reach out at the following numbers and our staff will be pleased to assist you.
- To connect with a resident living at William A. George Extended Care site, call (807) 737-3030 ext. 4575
- To connect with a patient at Sioux Lookout Meno Ya Win Health Centre site, email firstname.lastname@example.org. State your name, phone number, desired time for a video-visitation and patient you wish to connect with. Someone will get back to you within two business days.
Vaccination Policy for Staff/Physicians/Contractors
As announced on November 24, 2021, SLMHC has updated its COVID-19 Immunization Policy to require all staff, physicians, learners, contract care/service providers, support workers and volunteers to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by January 31, 2022. After this date, without proof of vaccination, staff/physicians/care providers will no longer be able to provide services at SLMHC. For those with medical exemptions, official paperwork will be required as well as adherence to regular testing every seven days. Any individual impacted by this policy can contact the Occupational Health department for more information or speak to their manager/supervisor.
This policy is specific to those entering SLMHC to provide care and/or service and does not directly impact our patients or visitors. For information on current policies relating to visitors and immunization, please see the Visitor Restriction section on this page.