Laboratory Assistant (LAB 02/22) (2 Positions)
The Laboratory Assistant must be willing to become knowledgeable in the theory, technique and clinical application of the various procedures performed and must be skilled in the performance of those procedures. The Laboratory Assistant must conduct themselves in a professional manner in accordance with the Standards of Practice as described within the Medical Laboratory Professionals’ Association of Ontario (MLPAO). On the job training will be provided for future certification as a Certified Medical Laboratory Assistant/Technician.
- Completed Grade 12 or GED equivalent required
- Previous Work Experience in a Laboratory preferred
- Phlebotomy Experience preferred
- Course in Specimen Preparation and Handling and/or Blood Procurement preferred
- TDG – Transportation of Dangerous Goods Knowledge preferred
- Proficient Keyboarding and Word Processing Skills
- Ability to Deal with Public Effectively
- Flexibility in Performing Job Duties
- Excellent Communication Skills
- Ability to Speak Oji-Cree preferred
- Current First Aid or CPR preferred
- Ability to work in a busy multidiscipline laboratory
- Sample preparation for analysis (labeling, accessioning, separation, centrifugation).
- Cleans and disinfects laboratory work areas and centrifuges.
- Maintains adequate laboratory inventory of supplies.
- Clerical duties, such as filing, statistics, answering phones.
- Packaging of Specimens for transport
- Filing of records, retrieval of files, Referral Lab reports.
- Patient Specimen collection
- Other duties as outlined in the job description
|Salary:||$22.08 - $25.48; In accordance with CUPE Collective Agreement|
|Closing Date:||When filled.|
|Submit Application To:||
Human Resources Recruitment
|Competition Number:||LAB 02/22
Please quote on your application.
Send your resume and cover letter firstname.lastname@example.org
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted, we thank all others for their interest. An acceptable criminal reference check and immunization records will be required from the successful candidate. Upon request, accommodations due to a disability are available throughout the selection process. SLMHC is an equal opportunity employer and a scent-free facility.