Off-Site Visiting Your Loved One During COVID-19
As of August 28, 2020, residents at William A. George Extended Care Facility are now allowed to leave the ECU for medical and personal visits. These policies and practices may change over time, so please check back often for updates or contact us at (807) 737-3030.
What is COVID-19?
COVID-19 is a very contagious disease. It spreads quickly from one person to another through contact and droplets. In March 2020, a state of emergency was declared in Ontario. We have done our very best to keep your loved ones and those caring for them protected and safe which unfortunately meant closing to visitors. This has been a challenging and stressful time for everyone.
It is important to consider the safest way to begin visits again. Please know we all have a role to play in responding to the pandemic and each of our actions has an impact on many other people.
- Residents are now allowed to leave the ECU for medical and personal visits.
- The new provincial update permits residents to leave the property for a short stay absence for health care related, social, or other reasons.
- A short stay absence does not include an overnight stay, with the exception of single-night emergency room visits.
- Any short-stay absences, or day visits, need to be requested a minimum of two (2) days in advance. This allows us to arrange transportation, and ensure a safe and healthy visit with your loved one.
- Residents returning from a short stay absence will be actively screened and are required to self-isolate for 14 days upon their return. Self-isolation still involves 24/7 care and all services. A resident leaving for a medical appointment will not be required to self-isolate upon return.
- Effective August 28, 2020, residents are now allowed to leave the ECU for medical and personal visits.
- The new provincial update permits residents to leave the property for a temporary absence (one or more nights).
- Our staff here will review and approve the temporary absence on a case-by-case risk assessment.
- Any temporary absence, or overnight visit, requires a minimum of one (1) week notice. This gives us time to assess any risk to your loved one, and ensure a safe and healthy visit.
- Residents returning from a temporary absence will be actively screened and are required to self-isolate for 14 days upon their return. Self-isolation still involves 24/7 care and all services.
- Remember that when coming to pick up your loved one for an off-site visit, you will be entering the ECU. During this process, respect all guidelines that have been put in place. Please ask if you do not understand them.
- Short-stay Absences: These day visits need to be arranged at least two (2) days in advance with our Team Lead.
- Temporary Absences: These overnight visits need to be arranged at least one (1) week in advance with our Team Lead.
- Be considerate and respectful when interacting with individuals as this is a very stressful time for everyone.
- We are encouraging those interested in arranging off-site visits to be tested for COVID-19 within two weeks of their visit.
Things to Remember
- Residents leaving for an off-site visit will be required to self-isolate for 14 days upon return. The only exception is a medical appointment, as those off-site excursions involve being escorted by staff to ensure all precautions are in place for the resident’s safety.
- We will not compromise your loved ones health and well-being at any time. Those requiring self-isolation will still receive 24/7 care and attention.
- When off-site with your loved one, whether in your home or out in public, please respect provincial and local public health guidelines.
- Your loved one may not be able to wear a mask due to medical conditions. Considering this, please take proper precautions to protect them and follow safe public health guidelines.
- If you are feeling sick, or are concerned you or a member of your household may have COVID-19, please reschedule your visit.
- All visits must be scheduled in advance. Contact our Team Lead, Andrea McWatters, at (807) 737-3030 ext. 4577 to schedule a visit or if you have any questions about a visit.
Arranging a Visit
All visits must be scheduled in advance. Contact our Team Lead, Andrea McWatters, at (807) 737-3030 ext. 4577 to schedule a visit or if you have any questions about a visit.
Prevention and Protection Tips
Click here to visit the Public Health Ontario website to view tips and recommendations on preventing COVID-19, caring for your loved ones, self-monitoring and other important information to keep you and your family safe.